Ph.D. Classical Philology, Harvard University
M.A. Classics, University of California at Santa Barbara
A.B. English Language and Literature, University of Michigan
Areas of Expertise
- Greek and Roman Theater
- Early Imperial Literature and Culture
- Women and Gender in Antiquity
- Slavery in the Roman World
- Translation and Classical Reception Studies
- Plautus: Rudens (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics). Cambridge University Press, under contract.
- Roman Comedy. Bloomsbury Publishing, under contract.
- Plautus: Pseudolus. Cambridge University Press, 2020. [review: Classics for All (2020)]
- Plautus: Casina (Bloomsbury Ancient Comedy Companions). Bloomsbury Publishing, 2019. [reviews: The Classical Journal, online reviews (2020.05.03); The Classical Review 69.2 (2019)].
- Hysterical Laughter: Four Ancient Comedies about Women. Oxford University Press, 2015. [review: Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2015)].
- Roman Comedy: Five Plays by Plautus and Terence. Focus Classical Library/Hackett Publishing, 2010. [review: Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2010)].
- Plautus: Casina, Amphitryon, Captivi, Pseudolus. Focus Classical Library/Hackett Publishing, 2008. [review: Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2009)].
- Plautus: Amphitruo. Cambridge University Press, 2000. [reviews: Greece & Rome, 2nd ser. 48 (2001) 97; Emerita 69 (2001) 162-4; Rivista di filologia 129 (2001) 91-99; Scholia Reviews 11 (2002) 20; Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2002); L'Antiquité classique 71 (2002) 315-17; Mnemosyne 55 (2002) 626-29; The Classical Journal 98 (2003) 325-28; Arctos 38 (2004) 231-33; Gnomon 77 (2005) 316-19].
Selected Refereed Articles, Chapters, Notes, Encyclopedia Entries, and Book Reviews
- "Nouo Modo Nouom Aliquid Inuentum: Plautine Priorities," in Blackwell's Companion to Plautus, eds. D. Dutsch and G.F. Franko. Blackwell-Wiley Publishing, 2020: 77-91.
- "Metatheatre," in The Cambridge Companion to Roman Comedy, ed. M. Dinter. Cambridge University Press, 2019: 136-50. [reviews: Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2020.05.17; Classical Review 70.1 (2020): 1-3].
- "Concocting Justice: Dikaeopolis the Cook," in Costume Change in the Comedies of Aristophanes, ed. N. Tsoumpra. Special Volume of Illinois Classical Studies, forthcoming (2020).
- "Lucretian Comedy," in Comic Receptions: Plautus and Terence in Late Republican and Imperial Rome, ed. E. Karakasis. Walter de Gruyter Trends in Classics Supplementary Volume, forthcoming (2020).
- Review of R. Germany: Mimetic Contagion: Art and Artifice in Terence’s Eunuch (Oxford U. Press), Phoenix 72 (2018): 384-6.
- "All's Well That Ends Well? Old Fools, Morality, and Plautine Epilogues," in Roman Drama and its Contexts, eds. S. Frangoulidis, S. Harrison and G. Manuwald. Walter de Gruyter Trends in Classics Supplementary Volume 34, 2016: 215-30.
- Review of M. Beard, Laughter in Ancient Rome (U. California Press), Classical Philology 110 (2015): 388-91.
- Review of A. Petrides, Menander, New Comedy and the Visual (Cambridge U. Press), Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2015.12.10.
- "A Roman Thesaurus: Religion, Marriage, Metatheater, and Concord in Aulularia," in Plautine Trends: Studies in Plautine Comedy and its Reception, Festschrift in Honor of Professor Dimitrios Raios, eds. I.N. Perysinakis and E. Karakasis. Walter de Gruyter Trends in Classics Supplementary Volume 29, 2014: 13-42.
- "Ancient Roman Comedy," and "Plautus," in The Encyclopedia of Humor Studies, Gen. ed. S. Attardo. Sage Publications (2014): 1.35-39, 2.575-77.
- "Eunuchus," in Blackwell's Companion to Terence, eds. A. Augoustakis and A. Traill. Blackwell-Wiley Publishing (2013): 262-80. [reviews: The Classical Journal (2014); Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2015.05.15; Classical Review 65 (2015): 428-30; Journal of Roman Studies 105 (2015): 444-5].
- "Unbearding Morality: Appearance and Persuasion in Pro Caelio," Classical Journal 100 (2004): 61-72.
- "Superbia in Vergil's Aeneid: Who's Haughty and Who's Not?," Scholia 11 (2002): 44-54.
- "Grotesque Realism in Plautus' Amphitruo," Classical Journal 96 (2001): 243-60.
- "Callinus and militia amoris in Achilles Tatius' Leucippe and Cleitophon," Classical Quarterly n.s. 50 (2000): 631-2.
- 2013: University of Arizona Graduate College Graduate Education Teaching and Mentoring Award
- 2012: University of Arizona Graduate and Professional Student Council Outstanding Mentor of Graduate Students
- 2011-12: Loeb Classical Library Foundation Fellowship
- 2008: University of Arizona College of Humanities Humanities Seminars Program Superior Teaching Award
- 2006: University of Arizona Graduate and Professional Student Council Graduate Student Advisor of the Year