Course Offerings in Modern Greek Language and Literature
Modern Greek is offered primarily through the Critical Languages Program in the College of Humanities.
For registration information, see http://clp.arizona.edu
The following courses are offered:
- CRL 101 - Elementary Language Study: Modern Greek (equivalent to GRK 103)
- CRL 102 - Elementary Language Study: Modern Greek (equivalent to GRK 104)
- CRL 201 - Intermediate Language Study: Modern Greek (equivalent to GRK 203)
- CRL 202 - Intermediate Language Study: Modern Greek (equivalent to GRK 204)
Independent Study Options: Greek 399, 499, and 599
- Advanced Modern Greek language
- Modern Greek literature in the original (focus on poetry, prose, myth)
- Other language-specific or historical projects and special topics
Academic Lectures and Outreach Activities
Students and faculty in the Modern Greek Program and interested community members have benefited greatly from lectures sponsored by the University Seminars Program of the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation (USA). The Modern Greek Program invites other lecturers and guest-speakers to present topics in Greek language, literature, history, politics, and society to the academic and local community. We would be glad to hear of scholars or authors traveling to Arizona for whom we could (co)sponsor a lecture or seminar.
Strengthening the Department's liaison with the Greek community of Tucson, faculty members and students actively participate in activities organized by the local Hellenic Cultural Foundation (HCF). This Foundation was instrumental in formally establishing the Modern Greek Program at the University of Arizona in 1984. In recent years, the HCF has continued to support the program in a variety of ways, most notably by offering annual scholarships to promote excellence in the study of Greek language and culture (both ancient and modern). Scholarships are available to students enrolled in the Modern Greek Program or majoring in Ancient Greek Language or Civilization.
For more information on Greek studies scholarships, please contact the HCF: