Please consider donating to Classics at the University of Arizona, to help ensure that our students continue to excel. To discuss opportunities for giving, please contact the Head of the Department, Dr. Karen Seat at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can donate online or download and submit our donation form (PDF). Thanks to our entire classics community for your support!
Department of Classics Endowed Prizes
The Richard C. Jensen Prize
The Richard C. Jensen Prize is awarded annually to a Classics undergraduate major who has shown outstanding ability in Latin (by faculty nomination).
The Thomas D. Worthen Prize
The Thomas D. Worthen Prize is awarded annually to a Classics undergraduate major who has shown outstanding ability in Ancient Greek (by faculty nomination).
Travel and Study in Italy Award
The Travel and Study in Italy Award will be given each year to a student pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree in the Department of Classics at the University of Arizona. Awards will be made to students participating in academic travel in Italy and/or study abroad programs in Italy. For more information, contact Professor White at email@example.com.
The awards of $1,000.00 are for majors and minors in our Classics B.A. program and for graduate students in the Classics M.A. program who seek to travel and/or study in Italy in connection with an academic program. We seek primarily to support students studying Greek and Latin literature and those preparing to teach K-12 Classics/Latin/Greek. To apply for the award, please submit a one-page letter detailing how you intend to use the award and one letter of recommendation to Professor White (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Classics Outstanding Undergraduate in Classics Award
The UA Department of Classics' Outstanding Undergraduate in Classics Award acknowledges high-level academic performance as well as excellence outside the classroom in the form of independent research and/or exemplary community service (by faculty nomination). List of Outstanding Undergraduate in Classics Award Winners
The Ariana Mercedes Economou/Hellenic Cultural Foundation Excellence in Modern Greek Award
The Hellenic Cultural Foundation honors an outstanding UA student each year. List of Excellence in Modern Greek Award Winners
- The Hellenic Cultural Foundation is an independent organization of the Greek community of Tucson. The HCF helped to found the Modern Greek Studies Program at the University of Arizona in 1984. In recent years, it has promoted excellence in the study of Greek language and culture (both ancient and modern) by offering annual scholarships to qualified students, who are enrolled in the Modern Greek Studies Program or are majoring in Ancient Greek Language or Civilization. Application forms are available in the departmental office of the Department of Classics; for the 2012-13 HCF Scholarship Announcement, click here.
- Lionel Pearson Fellowship for outstanding students in their final year of undergraduate study for a period of study at an English or Scottish university
- Minority Student Summer Scholarship to encourage talented members of minority groups to pursue a career in Classics, towards summer study or research, both in the United States and abroad.
- Manson A. Stewart Scholarship for undergrads majoring in Classics. ($1,000.00)
- CAMWS Awards for Elementary and Secondary Teachers & High School Students (Library/Teacher must be a member of CAMWS)
Eligibility: ETA SIGMA PHI members and alumni who have received a B.A. since January 1, 1995 or will have received it in or before June 2001, and who have not received a doctoral degree.
Open to graduate and advanced undergraduate students. There are two summer sessions every year: Session I begins about the end of the first week of June and lasts two weeks, and Session II begins about the third week of June and lasts about six weeks.