Classes taught by Dr.Voyatzis:
- Archaic Greek Sanctuaries: Classics 481/581
- Greek Architecture: Classics/Art History 457/557
- Greek Pottery: Classics/Art History 461/561
- Greek Art and Archaeology: Classics/Art History/Anthropology 340A
- Gods and Goddesses of the Ancient Mediterranean: Classics 360 (Tier II)
- Elementary Modern Greek: Greek 103
- Elementary Modern Greek: Greek 104
- Intermediate Modern Greek: Greek 203
- Intermediate Modern Greek: Greek 204
- The Tectonic Foundations of the Geoarchaeology of Greece (co-taught with George Davis): Classics 596h
- Archaeology of Religion (especially in Greece, early Iron Age through Archaic period)
- Greek art, architecture, history and society in the Protogeometric, Geometric, Orientalizing and Archaic periods particularly
- Archaeology in Arcadia
- Excavations/surveys in Tegea
- Excavations/surveys at Mt. Lykaion in Greece (2004-2010): http://lykaionexcavation.org/
Sanctuary of Zeus on Mt. Lykaion
Art Rohn and Mary Voyatzis reveiwing finds from altar
Altar at the Sanctuary of Zeus
Sanctuary of Zeus on Mt. Lykaion
- The Early Sanctuary of Athena Alea at Tegea and Other Archaic Sanctuaries in Arcadia. Published in Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology, Pocketbook 97 (Goteborg, Sweden, 1990).
- Tegea I: Investigations in the Temple of Athena Alea, 1991-1994 by G. Nordquist and M. Voyatzis. Monographs from the Norwegian Institute at Athens, no. X, E. Ostby, ed. (c. 700 pages total; 50% by Voyatzis, including Chapters on Pottery and Small Finds, Illustrations and Catalogues; Conclusions (with Nordquist), and Appendix on Ceramic Analysis (with Fenn and Ponting). Expected publication: 2009.
- Tegea II: Investigations in the Northern Sector by E. Ostby, M. Voyatzis, C. Tarditi, J.-M. Luce, K. Odegard, M. Iozzo. Monographs from the Norwegian Institute at Athens, no. XI, E. Ostby ed. (c. 850 pages; c. 30% by Voyatzis, including Chapter on Small Finds, Catalogue, and Illustrations). Expected publication: 2009.
- "Geometric Arcadia." in eds. A. Peatfield and C. Morris, Klados: Essays in Honour of J.N. Coldstream (Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies Supplement, London 1995) 271-283.
- "From Athena to Zeus: An A-Z Guide to the Origins of Greek Goddesses" in eds. L. Goodison and C. Morris, Ancient Goddesses: Myths and Evidence (British Museum Press, London, 1998) 133-147.
- "The Role of Temple Building in Consolidating Arkadian Communities," in Defining Ancient Arkadia. Acts of the Copenhagen Polis Centre 6 (Copenhagen 1999) 130-168.
- "Ο Κ. Kourouniotes in Arcadia" in Iστορίες για την αρχαία AρκαδίαInternational Symposium in honor of James Roy: 50 χρόνια Aρκάς (1958-2008) Paper: «Ο K. Κουρουνιοτης στην Αρκαδια» May 9, 2008, Stemnistsa, Arcadia. (forthcoming)
- "The Nature and Significance of the finds from Mt. Lykaion: Past and Present," At the Altar of Zeus: The Mt. Lykaion Excavation and Survey Project, University of Pennsylvania Museum Publications (forthcoming 2009)
- "Pottery at the Crossroads: Ceramic Trends in Southeast Arcadia," in Ancient Arcadia (Papers from the Norwegian Institute at Athens, 2004). 467-482.
- "The Cult of Athena Alea at Tegea and its Transformation over Time," in Celebrations. Sanctuaries and Vestiges of Cult Activity (Papers from the Norwegian Institute in Athens, vol. 6) 187-202.
- "An Analysis of Votive Types Recently Found at Tegea," in Peloponnesian Sanctuaries and Cults (Acts of the Swedish School Symposium Athens 4 - June 1994, Stockholm, 2002). 159-169
- "Excavations at the Sanctuary of Athena Alea at Tegea, 1990-1992: First Preliminary Report," Opuscula Atheniensia 1994 (with sections by Ostby, Nordquist, Tarditi and Luce) 89-141.
- "Current Fieldwork at the Sanctuary of Athena Alea at Tegea," Archaeological News 17(1992) 22-31 (invited article).
- "Votive Riders Seated Side-Saddle at Early Greek Sanctuary Sites," The Annual of the British School of Archaeology at Athens 87(1992) 259-279, figs. 1-14.
- "Arcadia and Cyprus: Aspects of the Interrelationship between the Twelfth and Eighth Centuries, B.C.," Report of the Department of Antiquities of Cyprus 1985, 166-163, pls XIX-XX.
- Book Review of Art and the Early Greek State by M. Shanks in Religious Studies Review 26 (2000) 269.
- Book Review of The Proceedings of the Danish Institute in Athens 2 by S. Dietz and S. Isager (eds.) in Opuscula Atheniensia 24 (2000) 141-144.
- Book review of Pilgrims and Pilgrimmage in Ancient Greece by M. Dillon in Religious Studies Review (1999) 80.
- Published commentaryon an article by E. Stone, "Chariots of the Gods in Old Babylonian Mesopotamia," in Cambridge Archaeological Journal, April 1993, 103-104.
- Book review of Greek Gods and Figurines. Aspects of Anthropomorphic Dedications by B. Alroth (Uppsala, 1989), in Gnomon 16 (1991) 241-244.
- Book review of Feminism in Greece between the Wars (in Greek) by E. Avdela and A. Psara (Athens, 1985) in Gender and History, vol.2 (1990) 122-123.
CLAS 464 – Archaeology of Greek Religion and Ritual
This class explores the archaeological evidence for ritual and religion in the Greek world from the Neolithic through the Classical periods. We discuss how to identify various sacred sites and artifacts, and how to interpret evidence we believe may be from a religious context.
CLAS 564 – Archaeology of Greek Religion and Ritual
This class explores the archaeological evidence for ritual and religion in the Greek world from the Neolithic through the Classical periods. We discuss how to identify various sacred sites and artifacts, and how to interpret evidence we believe may be from a religious context. Graduate-level requirements include presenting summaries of assigned readings; leading discussions on certain topics; writing a more in-depth paper with an additional 1000 words in length compared to the undergraduate papers, and with more bibliographic references required.